2.15.2010

people or no people, that's the question...



Recently, I saw some images of the completed "La Llotja" project by Mecanoo. I'm not going into details about what I think about this project, because it triggered a whole different subject: I recalled seeing renderings that looked pretty similar to the final result not that long ago. But something was different. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until I checked the renderings again. Then, the difference became quite clear...


Look at this image (the render), and look at the image above (the photograph), and think about the role people play in the images. It's not just about this example by Mecanoo, but it happens in virtually every project lately: the renderings are filled to the brim with smiling, happy people, whilst the final photographs are completely devoid of any people. It makes me think what the reasoning behind this logic would be.

Is it because the target audience is different? A rendering is aimed at a laymens' audience, whom architects try to sell an "atmosphere". But for the final photos, the target audience are the architectural magazines, for whom people are mere annoying clutter. Or is there something else at play? I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind this selective (re)presentation of people in architectural imagery...

No comments: